I’ve been gathering the materials for a tweed frock coat I’m going to be making in the new year. And I have a some questions.
1. Is this the same jean cloth you said to use as the sacking. http://www.wwandcompany.com/fabrics-supplies/cs-fabrics/287-family-heirloom-weavers-jean.html
2. For the wool padding in the chest can I just use carded wool instead of the quilt bating.
3. do you have a good source for a black lining.
1) That looks like the same jean cloth, the natural colour.
2) Not sure about the carded wool, you might be able to make it work. The key is it needs to be flat, and then you build up the layers in the areas where needed.
3) I used to use a faux ‘alpaca’ lining from WW and Company, but they stopped carrying it a while back, though it was a bit heavy for a civilian coat. There’s also Hart’s Fabric, which has a lovely silk / cotton sateen which is what I used for my double breasted frock coat. Link > http://www.hartsfabric.com/silk-cotton-fabric.html
Hope that helps,
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.